Monday, January 24, 2011

1-Minute Egg MugMuffin Sandwich


Nothing like a hot breakfast to start the day off right. This 1-Minute Egg MugMuffin Sandwich was one of my breakfast staples when I was pregnant, so that I would have the energy to make it through the day waddling around everywhere. And now with a pre-toddler, this is still my fail safe way to get a hearty breakfast that I can make in less time to pick one up at the drive-thru window! This is so easy and so much healthier than any fast food breakfast sandwich. The egg comes out perfect and fluffy in only a minute! I hope you try this recipe out to make different combinations with fresh and healthy ingredients to create endless breakfast options. Start your day off right and Eat HappiLee!!


P.S. For this inspiration, I give all the credit to Heather F. who shared this easy egg mug method with me. While we were both pregnant, we exchanged our good times and bad, despite being hundreds of miles away from each other. She was the world's greatest preggo buddy, and world's greatest Momma to Lela (my future daughter-in-law! haha). Heather, this one's for you babe! Hope to see you and Lela (and yes, Papa "Frech" too) in Hawaii one day!


1-Minute Egg MugMuffin Sandwich


Ingredients:
1 english muffin, or any other bread (croissant, biscuit, pancakes, whole wheat bread)
1 egg
1 tablespoon of milk
nonstick cooking spray

Optional extras:
slice of cheese, bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon, baby spinach, tomatoes, avocado, hot sauce...you get the idea

Hardware:
1 large mug, or any microwavable container
microwave

Directions:
  • Cook your sausage or bacon and set aside for assembly.
  • Have your other ingredients ready to assemble.
  • Toast your english muffin or other sandwich bread.
  • Spray the inside of your largest mug (I use my favorite Maggi soup mug) with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Crack one egg into the mug and scramble with 1 tablespoon of milk which helps for a fluffier egg.
Note: At this point you can place a slice of cheese on top of the egg mixture. As the egg cooks the cheese will melt with the egg perfectly.
  • Place mug in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute, until the omelet sets.
  • Slide your omelet onto your muffin and top with anything else you please.

And there you have the 1-Minute Egg MugMuffin Sandwich! Great on the go, or just to have on an easy going Saturday morning. I hope you'll take a little time out of your day to enjoy one of these homemade, or office-made sandwiches. Eat HappiLee!


Update:
Courtesy of Jill Boyd
01/25/2011: Thanks Jill for trying out this recipe!Your 1-Minute Egg MugMuffin Sandwich looks like a taste of Summer with the vine ripened tomato slice and fresh basil on top. And that was brilliant of you to use a Pyrex container to make it thicker. What is even more amazing is that you didn't even use any oil or cooking spray and it still slid right out! I see you used the whole wheat english muffin too! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your morning after having such a hearty and healthy breakfast!

7 comments:

  1. Am just reading your blog for the first time... Congrats on getting it up and running! Am always amazed by moms who find time to blog, much less cook such wonderful dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cynthia! I gotta eat anyways and while I'm losing sleep working on my blog it's become an addiction to keep cooking and writing. And the more I hear comments from everyone the more it drives me to keep sharing my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3
    Perfect post!:)

    You're my favorite prego buddy too!

    I have been putting a bit of avocado spread on it lately...yummy and some good fat. And a dash of hot sauce. Lela made Momma like spicy!!
    Canadian Bacon is a great thing to throw on there too!
    HUGS

    ps thinking of trying out the pork belly..sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to try the egg mugmuffin recipe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heather: mmm. The avocado and hot sauce sounds like the perfect creamy and zesty kick. And Canadian bacon eh? Yes, you gotta the pork belly. It's cracklin' good!

    @MareldaChan: Let me know how your Egg MugMuffin goes. Send me a picture and I'll post it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this out and it was very easy to do and came out nice and fluffy. I cooked the egg 15 -20 seconds longer. Maybe my cups are narrower or my microwave is slower. I can now make Michael an egg muffin before school. Hurray. I didn't get a chance to take a picture. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marelda. No worries on the picture. Glad you got a chance to try it out and very happy that Michael can start his day at school with a yummy egg mugmuffin sandwich!

    ReplyDelete