Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Eat HappiLee Ever After

Long overdue, I've been wanting to start my own blog but didn't quite yet have that shining moment of inspiration to get me started (despite numerous attempts of ushering from my loving husband and friends). All the factors of starting my blog didn't pull together until now. What were some of those factors you might ask?? Let's find out...

First off, I couldn't figure out what to name it. I wanted something that represented me and my family but in a unique catchy way and to indicate that it was a food blog and more. It would be about my life as a home cook, wife, and mother. 

Our Wedding Pig
Then I couldn't figure out what to start my first post about. I thought to myself, what is the one thing I absolutely love to eat and want to share with everyone?  It had to be awesomely good and represent a part of my life? Well, to most people Chinese Crispy Roasted Pork doesn't always come to mind, but for me it does.  How?!?!  Well...

For those who are aware of Cantonese Chinese weddings it is tradition to have a roasted pig, complete with head and tail. The day after the wedding, I was to return home with my husband and his gift of roast pig to my parents. My parents hacked up the pig, and returned the head and the tail back to the groom's family, to symbolize an end and a new beginning of relationships between the nuptials and their families. So you see, a crackling good pig is not just "good eats" but a symbol of marriage. My husband jokingly says that I was traded for a pig, which he thinks is a fair trade. 

And what better way to Eat HappiLee Ever After then with a tasty reminder of our special day. So a long awaited recipe of Chinese Crispy Roasted Pork Belly is my first recipe post. I hope you enjoy this entry and many more to come.  Please follow or subscribe to my blog so you too can Eat HappiLee!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this blog! And I cant wait to try everything out. Cant eat meat right now, but when I do, I will let you know how I do with your recipes! Let me know if there's any way I can support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jae! I will try to post some meatless dishes along the way. Just keep checking back often and provide comments. Tell your friends to become followers. The more the merrier, so we can all Eat HappiLee!

    ReplyDelete