Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chinese Crispy Roasted Pork Belly

This dish brings back so many memories. Most kids would cringe at the sight of an entire pig hanging from a hook, but for me, in San Francisco's Chinatown, the sight and smell of a whole crispy roasted pig was above all treats. The savory and juicy flesh, combined with the crispy crunchy texture of the crackling skin became my standard for all crispy pigs.  
My niece and nephew beside the Wedding Pig
(the pig is the one in the middle)


Flash forward about 25 years later and I get to have my very own pig at my wedding! Yes, one of the luxuries of having a traditional Chinese wedding. I recall my 7 year old niece asking her mother, "Can I have a roasted pig when I get married?" I don't know if I can wait that long for her to get married, so I was determined to make my own. A good friend of mine, Jenny H, said that her mother, makes it at home. What?! Seriously?! At home?! So after careful research and three tries at home with various methods to get the crispiest skin, I am proud to introduce my first recipe post: 


Chinese Crispy Roasted Pork Belly. 


Ingredients:
1 slab of lean pork belly with skin on (check your local Asian food store or butcher)
Salt Bake Chicken Spice Mix (can also be found in most Asian food stores)
kosher salt


Hardware:
large pot
knife
icepick or something very sharp and pointy
roasting rack and drip tray or aluminium foil
household fan

Directions:
  • Boil 4 quarts of water in a pot or enough to cover the pork belly. Rinse the pork belly in cold water and when the water is boiling, place pork in boiling water for at least 3-5 minutes. This will help render some of the fat and prepare the skin for the next step. 
  • Drain water and remove pork from pot. Rinse with cold water for easier handling. Using a sharp knife, scrape the surface of the skin to remove any scum or hairs (yes, there might be some still there). Now's the fun part!
  • Using an icepick or something very sharp and pointy, stab the pork rind right down to the fatty layer but being careful not to pierce the meat. This will allow the skin to fry itself with its own fat. Now go "Psycho" on it!
  • Dry off the entire slab with a paper towel. 
  • Sprinkle the spice mix on the meat side of the pork and rub it in making sure you get it on all sides except the skin. Repeat this step once more.
  • Sprinkle the skin side of the pork with kosher salt and rub it in. Repeat this step once more. The salt will help the skin crackle during the cooking process.
  • Elevate the slab and cover loosely with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator anywhere from overnight to 4 days. The longer the better so that the fat will shrink as the salt draws out the moisture from the fat which results in crispier skin along with thin layers of fat in between the juicy meat.
4 days later....
  • Remove pork from refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, so at least 1-2 hours. Preheat the oven at 450 on roast or bake. If you have a convection oven, even better as this will help circulate the heat better. Place slab on roasting rack (with drip tray underneath) to allow heat to circulate, and place on the middle rack in the oven. Cook for 30-45 minutes until skin starts getting bubbly. 
Note: Your oven will sound like its raining inside from the oil splattering around (thus the drip tray/foil comes in handy!). If you have a household fan or vent hood, turn it on now to help prevent your smoke detectors from going off. I learned my lesson the hard way.
  • When the skin is evenly golden and bubbly, your masterpiece is done!
Note: If there are any spots that are uneven, broil it on the top rack for a few minutes, keep your eyes on it to prevent a pig disaster. The more even you can get the skin bubbly, the more crispy the entire layer of skin will be. If some parts of the skin gets a little bit charred, don't worry, you can use a serrated knife to scrape off the excess char.
  • Let it rest for 10-15 minutes to allow all the savory juices to settle. Slice and serve with a big bowl of rice and Eat HappiLee!

    7 comments:

    1. Congrats on starting a blog... I will check in time to time and see what's cooking, prob won't try any recipes as I don't particularly love to cook but I do love to eat good food =) I have forwarded it to a few of my friends who follow other food blogs and have their own.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much! I will not only post recipes but reviews on places I like to eat. I'll also post quick and easy recipes that are tasty and still good for you. As a mom, you have to improvise and whip up something without the sacrifice of healthy eating.

      ReplyDelete
    3. OOoooo..can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing it! -Pat

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sorry Evan. That's my job though, to make people hungry so they can cook my recipes! Cook HappiLee Evan.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Wendy! It was good to meet you at Susan's last weekend! Gonna have to find that "salt bake chicken spice mix" at ranch 99. Thanks so much for the tips! I can't wait to try out your recipe! The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the cleaning up the splatters in the oven afterwards. =(

      ReplyDelete